Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Principles!

Aside from a snow day (in Georgia), nothing too exciting has happened in my own life. Therefore, I will fall back on one of my favorite blogging topics: politics.

My target...er, topic today is Governor Sonny Perdue. Our illustrious leader seems poised to block the sale of alcohol on Sundays in stores once again. The bill finally looks like it has a snowballs chance in hell of passing through both the state senate and house, a first. But Perdue, with his deeply conservative Baptist background has publicly acknowledged that he will not sign the bill because it violates HIS religious principles. The bill itself does not legalize Sunday sales, it only gives local communities the option of allowing such sales. Public surveys show that nearly 70% of Georgians support Sunday sales. That number is likely higher in places like Atlanta, Buckhead, parts of Gwinnett County, and Athens. Despite such strong support for the measure and a variety of vastly different religious perspectives in this state, Perdue seems likely to impose his strict Baptist views on the entire state. I think this is absolutely ridiculous. You?

1 comment:

tRacY paRty oF 4 said...

I agree with him and I am not Baptist! We'll debate later. HA!