Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Elections

I know I sort of promised a second post yesterday, but I was just too tired to update last night. Elections took 3 and a half hours, but I'm very pleased with the results (for the most part). I think the fraternity will be very successful in 2009. I'll be in the thick of things, as the Recording Secretary.

However, the election I'm more concerned about tonight is Georgia's run-off elections. Overall, it was a disappointing night. I don't want to be a bitter, sore loser, but I really feel like most Georgians did not take time to educate themselves before going to the polls today. The loss of Jim Martin to Saxby Chambliss is not all that surprising. He was still a little too liberal for this solidly red state. What I was more suprised about was the loss of Jim Powell to Lauren "Bubba" McDonald in the PSC race. I feel that this race was largely decided by the fact that McDonald had an "R" next to his name on the ballot and Powell had a "D". I find this an atrocious way to vote. Nearly all of McDonald's campaign contributions came from people connected to the utilities that the PSC regulates. Can you say conflict of interest? None of Powell's funds came from anyone connected to a utility. He refused to take any. McDonald is so far in the pockets of the utility companies that the Republican who currently holds the PSC seat publicly endorsed Powell and chastised McDonald. Yet, we see who Georgians elected. To further prove my point that it seems that voters didn't take the time to research the candidates, the third statewide race, for Court of Appeals, was won by Sarah Doyle, the more liberal of the two candidates. However, as a non-partisan race, there was no "R" or "D" next to the names, and voters likely picked her because she came first on the ballot.

You may wonder...what exactly is my point in all of this? I'm not entirely sure, so I couldn't tell you. I guess my hope is just that in future elections people will take time to educate themselves about the candidates before they go vote. And my other point to summarize this whole thing is that the Georgia Democratic party better be looking VERY seriously at who they want to groom for a Senate run in 2010. Johnny Isakson is up for re-election then, although he may not run again (instead, choosing to try for the Governor's mansion). The Democratic Party could take control of that seat if they pick a serious, MODERATE Democrat to run. I'm not talking a Vernon Jones or Mark Taylor. I think a good choice would be Cathy Cox, the former Georgia Secretary of State (not to be confused with Kathy Cox, the current Georgia Secretary of Education, best known for her appearance on "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?"). Anyway...that's just my thoughts.

Yours?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are on the same page buddy. I think the election of Sarah Doyle in conjunction with the other two does definitely prove that most people just showed up to vote for Saxby or Jim and were probably surprised to find other elections on the ballot. And I think a lot of Georgians are going to be upset when Lauren McDonald takes over and they see the policies and practices they elected.